Hello Virtual Vegan Potluck attendees! For those of you who don't know me- I'm Gabby! I'm a holistic nutritionist-to-be who focuses on how to make healthy plant-based living fun and delicious. Food is the foundation from which our health grows and I believe it can be used to nourish the body and the soul. I love coming up with new recipes to make each meal exciting and fresh!
I am so honoured to be participating for the 4th time in this blogger event. I have watched it grow from the very first year where Annie organized it all by herself with 60 participating bloggers, to today where there are 146 (!!!) blogs getting in on the action.
In case this is your first stop along the way, here’s a little bit about the potluck! The potluck was Annie’s way of connecting with other bloggers over food. How fun would it be if bloggers could all get together in the same room and bring our favourite plant-based dishes to share with one another. However, we are all scattered across the globe! While I have had the immense pleasure of meeting a few of you all, there are so many more I will never get to meet. SO, Annie got this wonderful idea- why not pick a day to share a dish with each other at a party held over the internet? And here we are today! 4th potluck and I’m sure there will be many more to come!
Basically how it works- these posts are sequenced in a chain. At the bottom of my post you will find buttons to take you to the next blog in the potluck and the one previous. You can go through the potluck in order, or just bandy around at random- your choice! Just make sure you visit everyone! There is also a link at the bottom of the post to go back to the start.
Now for my recipe! While not a dish you would ever bring to a potluck, this has been one of my favourite things to have following a workout lately. It’s my solution to having a post-workout smoothie when the thought of consuming anything cold threatens to send me back beneath my covers for hours of cozy warmth (and ain’t nobody got time for that!). It is a delicious substitute for a cup of coffee as well- tastes like a latte but is so much more nourishing!
I’ve included protein powder to aid in post-workout muscle recovery, cacao for anti-oxidants to help reduce inflammation and maca to help regulate your hormones. Plus a few other little inclusions to make it taste oh so delicious. i’ve also included a list of optional add-ins to throw in if you have them around or want to give this post-workout drink a bit more of a boost. If you do decide to play around with this recipe, I will suggest 2 things to ensure you are getting the most out of this recovery drink:
- Make sure you include an easily digested carbohydrate (like raw honey or maple syrup) to get a bit of a spike in blood sugar. While usually this isn’t something we are going for, post-workout this will lead to insulin release which is critical for maximizing muscle recovery and getting the protein into the muscle
- DO NOT include a concentrate fat if you are using this for a post-workout meal- fat slows transit time, meaning you will delay the glucose and protein getting to where it is needed most. Save your fats for before the workout or for later on in the day.
Ingredients (1 drink)
- 1 cup almond milk, heated till hot but not boiling
- 1 tbsp cacao
- 1 scoop protein powder (I've used sunwarrior chocolate and natural, cannot vouch for taste if you use another!)
- 1/2 tsp maca
- 1/2 tsp vanilla bean powder or extract
- Pinch salt
- sweetener to taste (I used 1/2 tsp raw honey, this will vary depending on your taste and the protein powder you use)
- 1 tsp Dandy Blend (for a latte feel)
- mesquite, turmeric, magnesium powder (like Natural calm), ground flax, cinnamon, nutmeg (or other spices), plus pretty much any other superfood!
Warm the almond milk on the stovetop until it's nice and hot (but not boiling! You can always put this back on the stovetop quickly once blended if it loses too much heat)
Add the milk and all other ingredients to a blender and blend until combined.
Serve warm in your favourite mug and sip away curled up under a blanket!
Thank you so much for stopping by and enjoy the rest of the potluck!
OR: GO TO THE BEGINNING!
- an exclusive discount code to Buddha Chocolate's online store
- automatic entry into a LARABAR giveaway (unfortunately, this portion is limited to US customers–sad trombone).
- a printable coupon towards Zevia (stevia-sweetened soda!) (unfortunately, this portion is limited to US customers as well)