Some of you already know this, but it was my birthday last week. Not only that, but it was the BIG 25! It seems crazy that I have hit that milestone, a whole quarter of a century.
I thought I would be freaking out- I mean didn’t I think I would be more settled by now? Have a better job? Have some kind of savings?? Is it possible that I am still in school, still not sure where I’m heading and still in a not-so-amazing-paying job?
But then I realized just how lucky I am. While I may not have a fancy job, a fancy condo or a fancy savings account, I have something better. I am sure of WHO I AM and I am HAPPY with that. I may have my shortcomings and areas that I need to work on, but I accept those and you know what, I LOVE those things because they are what makes me, me! I have come to see the beauty in the unknown, in not knowing where I’m heading. Not having a concrete plan laid out in front of me means the future is full of possibilities. Not having a solid job or house means I can go and live or travel anywhere!
Not only that, but even though I’m still in school, I am studying something I am passionate about. I know that I am in the right place at the right time. The way I see it, 25 will be the best year yet!
In the spirit of making the next year rewarding, fulfilling, and fun, I have compiled a list of 26 things I would like to do or accomplish by the time I’m 26. Some are big, some are small, some personal, some professional. All are things that have been on my mind. Thank you to Davida at The Healthy Maven for the idea!
- knit my first scarf
- go to London, England to visit a friend
- check off 10 restaurants from the Toronto Vegetarian Guide
- take a French class
- develop my own personal style
- be able to do King Dancer pose
- drink more wine
- budget better
- hire someone to redesign my blog
- start seeing nutrition clients
- write handwritten notes to friends far away
- write my first ebook
- drink more water
- revamp my blog for my nutrition practice
- do my first video post
- stay in with friends more (dinner parties, etc.)
- run a cooking class (even if it's just for friends!)
- resist impulse food purchases (and cut down pantry)
- go to more comedy shows
- take a stay-cation
- get a job related to my field
- explore more beautiful places in Toronto
- bring a vegan dish to family Christmas dinner and wow everyone with it
- drink through my tea collection, cut down on coffee
- explore more markets in Toronto
- Most importantly: ENJOY THE LITTLE THINGS
And don’t worry, I wouldn’t leave you without a recipe.
When I woke up on the big day, all I wanted was cake. Which was a strange thing because I honestly can’t remember the last time I craved it. Seeing as I didn’t have the time nor desire to whip up a cake from scratch, I decided to make a smoothie that would taste just like cake batter. And guess what, it did :)
The sweetness of the medjool dates and bananas combined with the luxurious flavor of the vanilla made this smoothie feel like dessert. But what really took this right to cake batter was the baking soda. I know it sounds weird but it totally works!
This smoothie is quite sweet, so for a “normal” day, I would probably omit one or both of the dates, but this morning was special. Feel free to adjust according to your taste!
Birthday Cake Batter Smoothie (Vegan, Gluten-free, Sugar-free, Raw, Paleo)
Ingredients (1 smoothie)
- 1 frozen banana
- 1/3 of a cucumber
- 3/4 cup almond milk
- 2 medjool dates
- 1 1/2 tbsp brown rice protein (I used North Coast Naturals)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- pinch salt
- scant 1/8 tsp baking soda
- couple ice cubes
Add all ingredients except the baking powder to a blender and blend until smooth. Add the baking soda then pulse a couple times to incorporate. Top with your choice of sprinkles (I used goji berries!) and a candle.